Sunday, January 24, 2010

My New Venture in Furniture Making...

The past few months I've been working with a cabinet maker and learning all about furniture making. It's a great step forward for me, and I'm really enjoying it. I still feel very new at it and am facing new challenges every day, but I'm quite determined to become great at it. I'm looking forward to the day when I have the skill set to go in the shop and make my own furniture from beginning to end. You'll recognize them from the beautiful woodburnings that will decorate them. I still have a ways to go. But until then, here are some pictures of some pieces we've been working on.

This is a gorgeous mantlepiece that has been one of our main projects for the past few months. The installation took about two weeks and was a huge eye opener for me, as I was still very new to the whole process. I think it came out amazing, and am very proud to have been a part of it.

This corner cabinet was strategically designed to hide the part of the mantlepiece that protruded from the other side of the wall from the living room into the dining area. It has a distressed finish that we created by...well, that's a secret. You might recognize this look on the frames I made for my artwork. The antique style compliments the woodburnings perfectly, as well as this corner cabinet.

Finally we have this cherry vanity. I think the finish on this came out absolutely gorgeous- it's hard to tell from the photo, but it is so shiny and smooth, it's almost like glass. So as you can see, I've been a little busy. More woodburning artwork coming soon!

1 comment:

  1. Very nice! Great idea of the combo with the
    woodburning! Looking forward to it.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete